Watching movies is one of my favorite past times. When I wasn't still working, after I have done my household chores (full time housewife and a mother of an eight year old girl), I always watch dvd's. Love stories, action, sci fi, drama, suspense- thriller, name it, I will wath it. It always touches my heart when the topic is about a person making a difference in someone else's life. Like Mona Lisa Smile of Julia Roberts who was also a liberal minded arts teacher in a traditional all-girls school. She has touched her student's lives and in return learns something from one of her students.
The Dead Poet Society is one of this liberating film. When I first watched this film I was still in first year college. I can still clearly remember the tears that fell down my eyes when I watched it. I can symphatize with Todd Anderson, with the pressures that he gets from his father. Growing up with a father who was a military man, he often forgets that we are his children not his men on the field. He's always strict with us and often dictates us what to do. We were never allowed to have go out at night, and stay late after school hours. We are not even allowed to talked back and expain ourselves. You commit a mistake, that's it! We were like soldiers at home. We talk and act according to my father's standards. But despite all this, he was linient with us when it comes to choosing our college course.
I also like the character of Robin Williams on this film. I like the way he has liberated his students on the ways of learning and teaching. There are many ways to educate a child. There are many ways to teach a subject. There are many ways to cook a chicken, a pork or a fish. I always believe that sticking to traditional ways can never let a person grow, emotionally. He will have a hard time coping with the ways of life if he will always follow what they say as "the right ways". Sometimes, we must learn the hard way to be more mature in our outlook and decisions in life. Experience will always be the best teacher.
I have always been a liberated person. My mother often tells me that I always went out of the traditional way. I reason out with her,even with my older siblings, unlike my other siblings. I often do things that are out of the usual ways. When my father told us not to have a boyfriend when still studying, I disobeyed him. He influences me to be a PMAer but I choose to go to another field. But despite all these, my parents went out of their way to give us the best of both worlds. Luckily, all of us (8 children) are now professionals. Without our parents advice and guidance, we will never be what we are today. It's good to have people to help and guide us but what's more important is on how we stood up to our own decisions and feel the pain once with the not so good decisions but never let the pain linger and cause suffering to ourselves.
In our lives, we meet people that will help shape us as a human being. They leave good or bad marks in our lives but still this marks will be part of our journey in this world called Earth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment